At the start of the year the Government launched the ICT Action Plan aimed at addressing the gap in high-level skills in the IT sector. It saw the introduction of full time conversion courses allowing people to reskill to gain ICT qualifications. The National College of Ireland are offering two courses under this initiative; a Higher Diploma in Computing in Software Development and a Higher Diploma in Web Technologies. The students are about to enter semester two of this exciting inaugural year. These courses are aimed at having students “Industry Ready” and as such a work placement is an integral part of the courses. We are looking for industry partners who are open to discussing taking a student on a work placement from the end of January of next year. Regardless of the size, structure or location of your company we are interested in hearing from you.
What is the benefit for you?
- Many of these students have been in the workforce already and so bring with them a breadth of work experience across a variety of disciplines
- The students are extremely motivated and eager – and as the students will have completed their academics by the time the work placement starts, there is an opportunity to extend the work placement beyond the minimum of 3 months. This potential is unlimited.
- Fantastic opportunity to trial a ‘potential’ recruit
- Placements can provide the ideal opportunity to foster links with the National College of Ireland
- Your team can benefit from skilled assistance for specific project work at lower cost
- Placements can also provide your staff with valuable people management and mentor experience
What are the backgrounds of the students?
The students are from a diverse range of backgrounds. There are recent graduates from Analytical Science and Music technology, experienced CAD Designers, Engineers, Maths Teachers, instructional designers together with those who have no technical experience keen to kick-start a career within IT.
Where might a student fit in within your organisation?
- IT development projects
- IT support
- Network administration
- Software development
- Software programming
- Web design and development
- Database development
The placements start in January 2013 and I would be very happy to discuss how your company may get involved. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone me (Kate Coughlan) directly on 01-4498586.
“At Datalex we are a world class provider of travel ecommerce. We bring those standards to our search for top talent.
We were delighted therefore to participate in the Student Work Placement Programme at the National College of Ireland. Our experience both of the student and the support from the college itself has been excellent. We would have no hesitation in recommending The National College of Ireland’s Work Placement Programme and look forward to partnering with them in the future”.
“The NCI Student Placement Programme has assisted AMT-SYBEX by allowing such activities as internal software development, research, testing, analysis and release preparation to be ably carried out by our NCI placement student. In general it opens companies up to fresh ideas, new perspectives and approaches to particular areas, increasing awareness in the relevant discipline, and also provides a fast track link for the employer to a future workforce.
The NCI Student Placement Programme establishes a good link back to third level to provide the student with exposure to the workplace, to various work related skills, allowing them to put academic theory to practice and assist with personal and professional growth.”